Sunday, April 29, 2012

This blog post is in response to the final question, "So what?" Over the past few years, I have taken a few film courses and have participated in small, locally produced independent films. Before taking this class, I had already developed a sense for critiquing films, and I felt I had a pretty good understanding of elements involved in great movies. However, I found during the duration of this course that I was able to develop a healthy respect for the art of filmmaking itself. Though I was already familiar with some of the course material, this course opened my eyes to various techniques and methods used in filmmaking and allowed me to get a glimpse of the possibilities of what filmmakers can achieve.
The art of motion picture production has certainly come a long way, and with each new year more films are produced that spark the imagination to what can be done.
Producing a movie, no matter what genre or subject matter, requires the full commitment of the people involved in the production if they hope to produce a film worth watching. This class has taught me about the time and hard work neccessary to bring a film to completion. It's become evident the film industry is not a field for everyone; much sacrifice and emotional strain is required of those who wish to be successful in this field. I'm appreciative of the knowledge I have gained from this course on the subjects of pre-production, production, and post-production. This knowledge has given me a much greater understanding of these processes and I'm thoroughly confident this knowledge will benefit me throughout the rest of my studies and in my future career.
I still maintain the goal I set when I first started to study filmmaking: to one day become a casting director in the film industry, though just being able to work on a legitimate film production in any capacity would be amazing. Though casting directors aren't required to aid in the technical aspects of filmmaking, their role is critical in making sure the story gets told by the right people with the right amount of talent. I've always been a firm believer that learning new things daily is of upmost importance, and this class has definitely taught me many new things about filmmaking that I hope to be able to appy to my own work in film.

No comments:

Post a Comment